TRAVELLING BACK TO TRADITIONS - PREVENT AND MANAGE DIABETES:
Updated: Nov 25, 2017
Diabetes, the global epidemic is a chronic noncommunicable disease and is becoming one of the biggest health challenges in the world. India is racing fast to become the diabetic capital of the world. It is said one in every five diabetics in the world is Indian.
The most valuable gifts of our tradition, Ayurveda and Yoga helps to lead a healthy lifestyle for the prevention and management of diabetes. Ayurveda has effective medicines for the management of diabetes along with treatments which could keep you away from pricking insulin into the body. It helps to maintain the equilibrium of the body and that keeps the systems intact.
Most diabetes patients are frustrated listening to the Dos and Donts of lifestyle by the people around them.
Following are some helpful diets and exercises that could help you.
* Ayurveda suggests following a sattvic diet which includes seasonal food, fruits, nuts, seeds and oils, vegetables, whole grains and legumes, nonmeat protein etc - all in a moderate quantity.
* Small frequent meals are better than large meals.
* The meals should always be a whole plate in moderate quantity with the right amount of carbs, proteins, fats, vitamins, minerals, and fibers.
* The fiber-rich vegetables are very important for a diabetic patient. The fiber content increases satiety and slows down the food break down. The fiber also help to reduce the cholesterol levels and to maintain the blood pressure, thereby increasing the heart health. People with diabetes have double the risk of heart attack.
* The mid-day meals must contain fruits or vegetable salads. Better to opt for fresh fruits rather than the dried ones.
* Add Fenugreek to your everyday food. Add it to your idli or dosa batter while grinding it, to the methi parottas or mix it with any kind of porridge. Fenugreek is very good in controlling the sugar level.
* Intake of turmeric and juice of Indian gooseberry on empty stomach helps in managing diabetes.
* The unfermented Green Tea helps in the controlled release of the blood sugar.
* Bitter gourd, Neem, Ginger, Aloe vera, Ladies finger- all are good for type 2 diabetes.
* 150 to 200 minutes of exercise or yoga every week helps to maintain a balanced metabolic activity in the body.
* Few yoga postures that help in the management of diabetes are Surya Namaskar, Paschimottasana, Vajrasana, Halasana, Matsyendrasana, Dhanurasana etc.
* Simple Pranayama is very helpful to keep the balance of all functions of the body.
* Keep the body well hydrated always.
Even though diabetes has a genetic and ethnic trait, T2diabetes is considered as a metabolic syndrome. So following a healthy way of living will definitely help to keep the insulin and sugar levels under control.
Contact www.shanthiganga.com for your personalized prescription to manage diabetes along with the videos of the best yoga for your body. Let's live without the fear of diabetes anymore.